Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Hike at Wilder Ranch State Park

The coastal hike at Wilder Ranch State Park was nice. First of all, it had clean restroom facilities and a big parking log- a sign that it is heavily used. But although we passed a few people, it didn't feel crowded at all, probably because of the great ocean views along the hike. We just went out 1.25 miles and back, so 2.5 total, this time around. You can hike out another 2.5 miles to make an 8 mile round trip, which I would like to do sometime in the future.I should note that this is a big biking area, but the trail is wide so everyone shares just fine!

Right past the parking lot is the historic buildings, where there were many helpful staff who knew lots of history about the place. While we didn't stay for a tour, we did walk around the buildings some. Then we headed out to the coast hike. I loved this beach, but it is a refuge and so of course no people were allowed down there.

Lots of other great views along the way.... we loved the wildlife.


I had read about the fern cave, and though it sounded pretty cool. And, I guess it was. It wasn't as big as I thought it might be, but it was cool to see ferns growing from the top of a cave. We ate lunch on this little beach, and I almost wish we would have stayed there for the afternoon.




I supposed I should mention that I saw a snake and Justin saw a snake along the way, but they weren't very big and they slithered out of the way quickly. (Those don't freak me out as much as hiking in the Sierras and worrying about rattlesnakes...)

No comments:

Post a Comment