Saturday, July 31, 2010

Palomarin Trailhead to Bass Lake and Alamere Falls

After a very fine hike, I took a long, steamy, bubbly bubble bath. (I hope the heat will help me to not be sore tomorrow!)

Today we met up with Kelly and Jeremy and drove to Point Reyes. I had heard about Alamere Falls when researching coastal waterfalls, and wanted to try the hike. It ended up being about 8 miles round trip, and well worth it. The hike itself was pretty mild.  A little bit uphill the first half mile to a mile but the trail is wide and well maintained. Besides that, it was pretty even hiking and it went in-and-out the shaded areas. Quite a variety of plant life kept the hike very interesting and I didn't feel like I was staring at rocks, which sometimes happens in my Sierra hikes, though I love them. A variety of animal life was also present- chipmunks, rabbits, birds, a shell of a crab, and, unfortunately, three slitherings of snakes. (Did I mention that I hate snakes- and three of them on one hike! Acck!!!) At least the snakes got off of the path right away.



About two miles in, you arrive at Bass Lake. It's a pretty lake but virtually no shore to get in. A small area gives entrance if you brought a floating device, and there is a rope swing. We would have had to sit in a small open area about 30 feet away from the lake, with too much foliage in the way to even see the lake, if we had stopped here. I have been to much, much better. Apparently it's the hot spot though, because on our hike back, we passed around 40 people who all looked like they were headed to the lake. Also apparently, nudists make an appearance, which I'm very glad that I didn't see. (Hello, keep it to yourself!)




The middle of the hike ended at Alamere Falls, and it was a sight. A 15-foot cascade drops into a small pool, and makes its was down to two smaller falls, and finally about a 40-foot drop into the sand to the ocean. It's  great photo op at the smaller falls, and if you are adventurous, you can make your way down to the beach at low tide. I'll warn you though, it is pretty steep and slippery. The sliding shale-like rock breaks away and makes the path difficult. Getting back up is worse because it's harder to grip. Still, it was worth it to go down to the beach for lunch. Even if we didn't make it down to the bottom of the 40-foot falls, it still would have been worth it to see the three other cascades.








It was a great day, and I didn't even get burnt because the four miles in it was overcast! I just hope I'm not too sore tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment