Saturday, July 3, 2010

Breathe, Pant, Pant... Breate, Pant Pant

For some reason, I'm under the impression that summer should be relaxing. Mine has been quite the opposite though! Most of the busyness has been in a good way though I suppose. Wednesday I worked on helping paint backdrops for VBS, then had class, then left class early to make it to church. Thursday Justin had the morning off and we got my car checked and had dentist appointments in the morning. Then I wrote two papers in the afternoon before class. Class actually lasted until 8:10, a little later than normal. But it was the last class, so I guess that was ok. I did enjoy the classes and feel like I learned quite a bit! And then yesterday I was at church pretty much all day finishing the mural I started. In the evening, I knew I needed to not think about things for a bit so Justin and I went to see The Last AirBender in 3D. Today I will be back at the church again for more decorations.

To do a very quick review of The Last Airbender, I have to say I was disappointed. I guess that I have come to expect a lot from M. Night Shyamalan's films, and this one just didn't have the edge. Justin and I both agreed that the concept of the four nations staying in balance was intriguing, but how it playing out in the movie wasn't as interesting. I just kept expecting something more, and then the movie was over. We did watch it in 3D, so I was probably expecting a lot from that too. It was neat in a few places- it really feels like the movie is jumping out at you and gives a lot more dimension- but wasn't all that different. (Maybe another movie in 3D will change my mind, but right now I wouldn't pay $13 again for 3D!) On another note, as a Christian, I have to notice that the world of the benders is focused on the "ying and yang"- more of a eastern philosophy- and not on the God of the Bible who is sovereign over the world. This is problematic as Christians should be careful not to let another worldview creep in unnoticed.



That was a quick update. More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment