Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Baby Name Dilemma

With a birth-day coming soon for our little boy, I thought I would make a survey of some baby names we have considered. It's so hard to pick a name! Justin and I want something that is uncommon, but not weird. The common thing comes, perhaps, from teaching so many students. Say any name in the top 100 and I've probably had a student with that name, and with that name comes its associated memories. So it's tough to pick one. It's not that it's bad to have a top 100 name, it just that I don't want to say my baby's name and have three other kids in nursery turn their head. (Justin and I both have pretty common names, although spelling mine presents a problem many times).

Speaking of spelling, it needs to be easy to spell. And pronounce. Did I mention not in the top 100?

It's difficult.

We browsed several books. Here's some of them:
Beyond Jennifer and Jason, Madison and Montana by Linda Rosenkrantz & Pamela Satran
Hello My Name is Pabst by Miek Bruno and Kerry Sparks
Off-the-Grid Baby Names: 1,000s of Names Never in the Top 1,000 by Linda Rosenkrantz & Pamela Satran

We also availed ourselves to decade of SSA info at: http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/

After all that, I made the survey. It has names we really are considering, and some that we totally aren't. I had to have those in their for quality control, right? And to keep it mysterious. But do complete the survey, whether you are friend, family, or stranger. I've already had several responses but want many more. It's so fun to read everyone's input!

Here's the link:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/T6397RQ

No comments:

Post a Comment