Monday, March 31, 2014

40 days and (we're definitely) counting!

I can't believe we have just about 6 weeks (40 days) left!! We will get to meet our baby boy soon! Last week my coworkers gave me a shower and it definitely got me in the mood to get some more baby items. (I have quite the collection of adorable and thoughtful blankets). It's seemed so far away for so long, and now we can actually start counting down!

I am feeling pretty good, overall. While I haven't been sleeping very well, I am trying to take naps to catch up on what I missed. I continue to follow the Brewer diet the best I can, although I feel like I'm not as hungry lately. I've read that as my belly grows, it makes my stomach feel fuller, so I'm trying to do the 5-6 smaller meals/snacks, instead of the typical 3-meal-a-day. Although I have been doing small snacks all along, I'm becoming more deliberate in eating less at the main meals and saving what I would have ate then for healthy snacks. (I'm definitely not talking about junk food snacks).

In the realm of exercise, I am going to the gym three times a week still. I walk about a mile and a half, and do the following strength exercises: 3 sets of 15 squats, 3 sets of 20 lunges, 3 sets of 10 on the abductor/abductor machine, 3 sets of 10 on the leg extension machine, and 3 sets of 10 on the leg curl machine. I also try to do leg raises, pelvic rocks, donkey kicks off of the hands-and-knees position, and some back exercises in the hands-and-knees position almost every day. For arms a few times a week, I do curls and shoulder presses with 8 pound weights. Writing all that out seems like a lot, but really I have to go slower than normal and take it easy. (I so wish I could still run!! I really miss running and can't wait to get back into it.) Perhaps it's good genes or due to the exercise, but I haven't had any varicose veins or swelling in my legs, thank goodness. At my last appointment, I had gained about 28 pounds. Maybe a little more than I wanted, but I'm definitely still within the right range.

Emotionally, I might be feeling a bit moodier. You would have to ask my husband about that one (and hopefully he'll give you a smart answer, haha). I think the birth  process itself might contribute to my mood, but then I remind myself of all of the preparations we have done, in knowing the process, nutrition, and exercise, and I know God will get me through it. Sure it's won't be easy, but anything good never is, right? Plus, women have been giving birth for thousands of years, so I'm just the next to join the ranks. I know my husband will be by my side, supporting and encouraging me throughout. I can do it. And it will all be worth it for our little bundle of joy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment