Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Breastfeeding and Babywise

Looking back, I thought breastfeeding would be easy. It's one of the most natural things in the world, right? Babies crawl right up to the breast after being born, and already know how to suckle. Mom's milk is the  most complete and easy nutrition available. 

If only it were really that easy.

I know I haven't had the toughest time, but I (and Ansel) are definitely learning. We had a few issues to work through in the beginning. Over the course of the first night, I would put him to my breast and he would eat. However, it definitely felt rather like pinching, and was not pleasant. I knew it shouldn't hurt, and we called the lactation consultant in the next morning. Ansel had certainly been sucking, and getting the colostrum, but he was indeed pinching me- and I had red marks to prove it. He was not getting a deep enough latch, the LC said, and probably needed his frenulum clipped (AKA he was tongue-tied). In combination with that, and sorry if this is TMI, apparently I have small (not inverted or flat) nipple buds, which compounded Ansel's latch problem. 

To solve the problem, the LC gave me nipple shields. I am convinced that whoever invented these should have a special place in heaven! What a huge help! They really helped Ansel latch on and saved me from feeling so pinched all the time. The LC had me use a hand pump to draw the nipple out for a minute or so, then put the nipple shield on. The nipple shield got us through the first week.

After the first week, I was starting to get annoyed at the nipple shields, just because it was an extra step. So, I started taking them off part way through the feeding a couple of times a day. Sometimes Ansel was willing, sometimes not. Sometimes, it hurt pretty bad. Finally, today, I was trying the side-lying position, which I hadn't used since the hospital, and forgot the nipple shield in the other room. I decided we would just try it without. Ansel did great! He fed 15 minutes on each side without it. I feel so good about this. Hopefully we can be almost done with using them, but I will have to see how tonight goes.

Now for Babywise. (I know not everyone agrees with the philosophy, but I just challenge people to actually read the book because it might be different that you think). The goal of the first week is to get full feedings every time I nurse. When Ansel had a full feeding, he lasted longer between feedings. Typically this was 2 1/2 to three hours, though at the end of the first week he had a few bouts of 2 hours... I felt like all I did was feed him! But he was giving me plenty of dirty diapers, both wet and poopy, so I know he was getting what he needed.

By Sunday though, I was ready to try to move him onto more of a schedule. I needed it, so I could get enough sleep, and he needed it, so that he knew what to expect. While Babywise encourages you to not really worry about the schedule in the second week (just get full feedings), I thought I would go ahead and try. I set up a 3 hour schedule, and put it at 6 am, 9 am, 12pm, 3 pm, 6pm, 9pm, 12 am, 3 am. I would feed him at those times, working to get him at least 10 minutes on each breast, and then give him "wake time," as Babywise calls it, and then put him down to sleep. Sometimes it takes Ansel longer to get a full feeding- 45 minutes or more- and his wake time is only 15 minutes or so. If I try to keep him up longer, he is actually crankier and has a harder time falling asleep. Then he will sleep for about two hours, at which point I will wake him up and feed him again, and repeat the cycle.

I really like this routine for several reasons. First, both Ansel and I know what to expect. Second, it gives me some type of sanity when I feel like all I do is feed him! I have at least an hour and a half to myself between each feeding that I can shower, take a nap, pick up the house, or something of that nature. It's helping me feel like life is returning to normal. Ansel is eating great too. He usually nurses for 10-15 minutes on each side. Then he is alert for a short time before being ready to sleep again. Now, it may take time for him to fall asleep. That is, he will cry for 5- 20 minutes sometimes. While I hate hearing him cry, I know that he has a full belly, he has had cuddle time, his diaper is clean, etc. He just has to learn to self-pacify. I do at times use a pacifier, because I think he is one of those babies that just needs to suck on something. But I try to only use it at night, when I really need to rest.

What is awesome is that over the last few nights, since I have started the 3 hour routine, Ansel has started sleeping longer. So, I feed him 9:00-9:45 pm, and he sleeps 9:45-1. That means I get a 3 hour block! So awesome. Tonight I am feeding him at 10 pm because we were a little off the 3 hour schedule, and hopefully I will only have to get up at 2 am, and then 6 am. Hopefully...... I don't want to spread feedings more than 4 hours this week because of my milk supply, but 4 hours during the night is so good for me to get rest and be a better mommy.

More updates as the weeks go by. Thank you, Babywise!

No comments:

Post a Comment