Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Whole Wheat Scones

I had the urge to make scones today (grandma H's recipe), but knew I needed to make them a little healthier than normal to try to justify it during pregnancy. So I adapted the recipe, and thought I would share. They seemed a little dry, but I think I just cooked them a little too long since it's harder to tell when they brown with the wheat flour. So, watch carefully.... once a toothpick comes out clean, get 'em out of the oven!


1. Combine:
3 c. whole wheat flour
3 T flaxseed
1/4 c. crushed/chopped almonds
1/2 c. sugar
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda

2. Cut in until mixture resembles coarse crumbles:
6 T. cold butter, cubed (no substitutes)

3. Combine in bowl, then add the crumble mixture until just moistened:
1 c. vanilla yogurt or sour cream
1/4 c. milk

4. Knead in:
1 c. cranberries*
1 c. white or chocolate chips*

5. Bake
On a greased baking sheet, pat dough into a 9 inch circle. Cut into 8 or 12 wedges; separate wedges. Brush with milk to lightly coat tops of wedges. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

*You really can add anything in that you would like- I like the scones with cinnamon chips, but you could try them with other kinds of dried berries or nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment