Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Pregnant Teacher: Round Two

Being a high school teacher and being pregnant is very interesting. I recounted a few stories here, but had a couple others to add (and I'm sure I will have more as time progress). So here's the first one...

I took my class on a field trip to a local elementary to read the children's books they wrote and illustrated in my creative writing class. While there, we had some downtime between various class sessions, and I was, of course, chatting with the students while each group waited to go. One of my junior boys, who I'll call Aaron, says to me, "So, did your water break?" Then he smiles, embarrassed, and blurts out, "I don't even know what that means." I roll my eyes at him, and then proceed to explain what it means so he doesn't sound like such an idiot and say it to another pregnant woman who's only 22 weeks along. "You see, Aaron, the baby is living in the mom's belly in amniotic fluid, like water with nutrients. It stays there until it's time to give birth, at which time the 'water' gushes out. That's why people say the water breaks. But it doesn't happen until the mom is in labor, and I'm quit a bit away from that." So that shut him up. I guess though, most 17-year-olds don't know much about this, and maybe it's good, because if do know about it, they either have a younger sibling or have gotten a girl pregnant.... or I suppose their mom could be a nurse... either way, I'm not letting them stay in their ignorance.

The next incident was funny to me, too, and a little less serious in nature. This past week we just switched to the new semester and new students. I've been getting to know the students, and in this particular class the majority of the students are girls. While they are completing a terms matching activity with their partner, some of them ask me how far along I am, and simple questions like that. Then one says, "Do you ever pee your pants?" Kids are so blunt these days! But I laughed and said yes, I have laughed too hard once and had a mini-accident. It just happens, so it's not like I'm going to lie about it. I joked that I would have to start bringing changes of clothes in the car from here on out. Now, realize this conversation wasn't in front of the whole class, and couldn't have lasted more than a minute or two. I suppose that I could just say, "That's not appropriate," and ignore the question, but maybe they've never had a positive pregnancy role model, and somehow I think it's important to be open.

Still, there are things I won't tell them. Like the exact due date, or what the gender of the baby is. Those things I keep to myself for now, because they are special and everyone else doesn't need to know. Keeping those secrets give me some sense that my pregnancy isn't completely public, like my growing belly, which can't be ignored anymore. While I certainly get tired of comments from students and staff alike, "You're getting big," and "You won't be able to fit into that sweater much longer,"  I am trying to go through this pregnancy graciously, as a positive witness to the blessing God has given me.

No comments:

Post a Comment