Monday, January 6, 2014

Second Trimester Update at 22 Weeks

I'm about 22 weeks along, and I thought I should update on my pregnancy so far. Right before Christmas we found out the baby was a boy! Yay! I always wanted an older brother for my kids, maybe because I didn't have one (though I LOVE my [not-so-little-anymore] brother). Plus I just thought it would be fun for Justin to have a boy first. This was a big deal too, because not one of my aunts or cousins had a boy first, on my mom or dad's side of the family. So, we are excited. I am keeping the nursery neutral though, a Noah's ark theme, so we don't have to redo things for the next baby.

As far as pregnancy symptoms, I had a few weeks in November where I wasn't so tired, then went back to being tired again, though I don't think as severe as the first trimester. Then, I was falling asleep while eating dinner. It's not so bad now, and shorter naps or earlier bedtime seem to do the trick (if I can actually get solid sleep). Of course, I toss and turn several times and have to get up to use the bathroom at least once a night. But I'm making it. It was really nice to have winter break to relax, read, see family, and sleep whenever I wanted too.

Also, I've been having headaches frequently- a couple times a week. These are strange, because I haven't had trouble pre-pregnancy, and they started second trimester. I don't like taking pills, but I have started using Tylenol at the advice of the doctor, but as sparingly as possible. Usually I don't have to take more than 2 a day, and it's certainly not everyday. I don't like taking pills, because whatever I get the baby gets, and in a much larger dosage. But I have to be able to work and function, so I am trying to do what I have to. Of course I am making sure I am hydrated, and eating healthy. It seems that the headaches are hormonal, from what we can tell. My blood work came back great; it doesn't look like I have some deficiency that is causing it.

Probably the best thing is being able to feel him kick! From maybe about week 19 or so, I would think that maybe I felt something.... but wouldn't be able to tell for sure. Last week, week 21, I could tell for sure. It's really cool... like seeing him for the first time on ultrasound and hearing his heartbeat. It's still not strong enough for Justin to feel, though we have tried. Soon enough!

We have started childbirth classes with the Bradley Method, more on those later, and started looking into pediatricians. We have also visited Family Beginnings, where we are most likely to go for the birth. We started looking at names too, but don't ask questions, because we probably won't tell until he's born. :) Sorry, it's our little secret!

Overall, it's an exciting time, and we can't wait to meet him in May!

2 comments:

  1. So excited for you! I'll throw in my 2 cents worth on pediatricians, star pediatrics in xenia has been awesome for both my kids :)
    Try a chiropractor for the headaches. Something might be pinched :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, yay! So excited for you and Justin! :) I agree with Lauren, a chiropractor might be able to help your headaches. Plus, my mom went to a chiropractor the whole time she was pregnant with me and had a super easy labor, only three hours or so. It could have been a coincidence, but maybe not. :)

    ReplyDelete