Saturday, March 13, 2010

Not THAT Alice

My husband and I went to see Alice in Wonderland last night. It was an enjoyable, clean, film, but not near the entertainment I was hoping it would be. I wanted to see more of the fantastical forest world of mushrooms and funky animals. What I saw was the dreaded Red Queen's castle, and lots of darkness and gloom. Of course, I know that the darker side is a major part of the plot because Alice has to slay the jabberwocky, but still, I wanted to see more imaginative things!

On the actual acting, I did agree with a review I read that Johnny Depp, playing the Hatter, was outdone by Helena Bonham Carter, the Red Queen. She really captured the temper and outbursts of the Queen well. And compared to Depp's other films, he isn't as astounding. Perhaps because he just doesn't have as much screen time, so I didn't get to experience it as much. However, I would definitely recommend this to other because it is clean, and it is so hard to find a clean movie these days.

The characters were fun to watch. After the movie, Justin pointed out that the characters in Wonderland mirror characters above ground. Now, I'm the literature teacher here, so I'm supposed to have these realizations! Hahaha... Anyways, if you see it, definitely think about that. The obvious is the two twin sisters mirror the two fat boys, but see if you see any other character duplicates in Wonderland when you watch the movie.

Here's a trailer if you haven't see it yet!

And for the old school folks among us, here's a link to a review that compares the novel to the movie. Or read portions of the book online.

No comments:

Post a Comment