Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Vintage Valley Cabin Review

For our anniversary, we spent the weekend in Hocking Hills and rented the Vintage Valley cabin from Lazy Lane Cabins.  We really loved the location, which was outside of Logan about 5-10 minutes on a gravel road. It was far enough to feel secluded, but not to far to go into town for dinner if you didn't want to cook. The property was several acres, with a large yard space, fire pit, and a mowed path for walking out back. We didn't even have time to explore the property fully because we went into Hocking Hills State to hike at Cantwell Cliffs.

The cabin was nice too, and I loved the historic feel of the place. The front porch has a swing for relaxing in the evenings. The galley kitchen was simple but adequate, and I appreciated that they had appliances like a blender and crock pot, as well as all of the dishes and cookware that was needed for simple meal prep. The bathroom was right off the kitchen, and small but it did the job. The living area downstairs was tastefully decorated and had a window AC unit. The only complaint we had was that there weren't directions for working the DVD play and we couldn't get our movie to play.

Up the very steep stairs were two bedrooms, one with a queen bed and one with two single beds. (Note that the room with a queen had a cute curtain doorway, but if you want privacy that might be a problem). I liked the decor upstairs too. I was country but not too overdone. There was a window AC unit in the queen room, but not the other.

The only complaint I had came at 2:30 in the afternoon, when my five week old was taking a nap, and I was trying to take one too. A phone call came to the cabin phone asking why we had an unregistered vehicle in the driveway. The problem was, there was NOT a car besides ours in the driveway, which we told them. They said a worker had reported that another car was there, but the phone was breaking up so perhaps they had the wrong cabin. The issue here was that I felt like I paid for the cabin and its seclusion, and I felt like my privacy and peace was invaded with that phone call. I can understand the no-visitor policy, but to call when they didn't have the facts straight was very irritating, especially since as a new mom I am pretty sleep deprived. Also, do they really drive around and check to see if there are extra cars in the driveway? That's weird. What if hubby and I were getting intimate on the porch? I mean, seriously I think they are a little overboard on that. Now over the course of the phone call we did say that our grandparents, who live nearby, were coming to watch the baby for a couple hours while we went to dinner (but they weren't there yet, so NO car in the driveway). The office lady said that she had to have that approved. Seriously? I'm sure that people could abuse the policy and have wild moonshine parties (stated with sarcasm) but how often really? It's a RENTAL. As the owner I would think you would realized that there is a certain amount of control you have to give up. Besides that issue, we enjoyed our stay. The location was great, though how private now I wonder...

I would probably try another cabin before I went back, though I did like a lot of things about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment