Saturday, June 7, 2014

Garden Update

My garden is doing well! I was able to get most of the vegetables planted before I had Ansel, which was a big help. Dad put in the tomatoes for me over the last two weeks. He came over tonight and helped to weed too. Boy, it needed to be weeded! I don't remember the weeds being this bad last year!! Earlier this week I weeded the inside of the peas and around a few zinnia plants, but dad did around the green beans for me today. I still need to get between the rows. It's just so hard to get out there with Ansel and his needs right now! Still, I am pleased.

I have oregano, parsley, and chives in planters, along with some carrots.

The green beans are looking awesome (except for the weeds!)

The zucchini really came up well. I should probably thin it out some more though.
I have a short fence around my peas for them to grow up on. They were doing really well, then I think deer or some other animal got in and bit all the tops off! GRRRR!! Dad suggested putting fabric sprayed with Deer Off on the fence, and it seems to be working. Man, that stuff stinks!! The peas will hopefully shoot up again soon.

I have two pepper plants in the middle to use for making salsa also. 
Along the fence, I planted cucumbers, gourds, and sunflowers. They are slow to start, but hopefully will pick up soon and make use of the fence.
 I won't even post a pic of the tomato plant because you can't really see them yet, and they need weeded like everything else. Hopefully tomorrow afternoon I can really work on that! I also tried to plant broccoli, and never saw anything come up, until dad pointed them out to me tonight. They must have sprung up over the last two days since I checked.

I am feeling pretty good about everything though, and think that canning and processing all of this is going to keep me busy later this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment