Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Bathroom: Before and After

Our front bathroom has come a long way. When we first came in the house, there was a mildew problem. The shower, sink and toilet plumbing were on three different walls.  All the fixtures were outdated, and the tub must have been the original cast iron. It was super heavy. So heavy, in fact, that it is still sitting on the side of the house, waiting for someone to be interested in its posting on Craigslist. But I digress...

To fix it, Justin and dad tore everything down to the studs. It sounds easy to say but it took several days! The flooring came up too. When Brentwood came in, they put up new walls and placed the plumbing all on one wall. That was my plan, because it just makes so much more sense! Then, in one night, I painted the walls Bracing Blue (Sherwin Williams) and ceiling and trim Creamy (also Sherwin-Williams). They came in after that and officially hooked up all the fixtures.

Wait, I thought that sounded too easy.... how could I forget? Before they could finish the plumbing, Justin had to dig in the crawlspace to find a good section of pipe to hook into, because the old pipe literally had holes in it. This stopped up the process for at least week. Still, I'm glad that we figured it out at this point.

Once the fixtures were in, I was able to start making finishing touches. I found a shower curtain at HomeGoods  that was pretty close to the color of the tub. If you remember, I spent a few precious hours this summer restoring that old tub that we found on Craigslist for $225.   Xenia Glass and Lock put a mirror in an old frame that I bought at a garage sale. The mirror was $10, the frame about a dollar. (By the way, Xenia Glass and Lock had great service and were so reasonable in price. I'll be going back to replace some glass in a frame soon.) Our awesome neighbor Bert once again helped us with some shelving, and then I painted the shelves. I hung a few other decorations, and it was finished! It's one of my favorite rooms in the house now!

Before:                                                              After:
 


No comments:

Post a Comment