Thursday, January 31, 2013

Cheap and Easy DIY Swag

I like decorating my house, now that we are starting to get settled in. I have several things already from our house in California, but every house is different, so I use pieces in different ways. I loved this oval white mirror, which I found for a few bucks at a thrift store in California, hanging about the mantle at Christmas. Then, I put a evergreen swag on it to tie in with the Christmas decorations. But now, I have a few pictures and some alpha art, and something didn't look finished. It was time to make a new swag.

To start, I went to Dollar Tree and picked up some long woodsy pieces in green, blue, and brown, my main colors. They also had some unique feathery stuff that I thought might be good in the swag. Raffia was there too. All in all, I think I spent $6.

After laying it all out on the table, I cut the pieces to about the length of my mirror, with some variation just to add texture. Then I started grouping them together, and wound the raffia around it several times before tying it all together. With a little more poking and prodding, I was pretty happy with it. I think it's kinda rustic, which fits with my older-house theme. I even had enough for the frame in my dining room too.

Here's what it looked like all together. What do you think of my DIY swag?


No comments:

Post a Comment