Monday, December 24, 2012

Mini Sausage-Cheese Biscuits

Once again, Justin's having a carry-in, and I'm the one cooking. Not that I mind; I love to cook! But I needed to come up with some kind of easy appetizer. I poured through The Appetizer Bible, which I picked up at a garage sale this summer. I really thought that I had seen a recipe for a cheesy-sausage biscuit, but I coudn't find one. So I decided to adapt my standard biscuit recipe from The Fannie Farmer Cookbook. Grandma M. gave me that cookbook a few years ago, and it has tons of good, standard recipes for reference. So followed their recipe, but adapted it for the cheese and sausage. And instead of cutting round biscuits, I cut them into 1 1/2 inch squares. It's a much better appetizer size and a fun shape for a biscuit!

Mini-Sausage Cheese Biscuits
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup grated cheese (cheddar or mozzerella)
1/2 pound sausage, cooked and drained
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup milk

In large bowl, mix flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar. Then add cheese and sausage and mix thorougly with a fork. Add vegetable oil and cut in until evenly distributed (mixture will be lumpy and coarse though). Then add milk and stir just until dough forms a ball around the fork. Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead 14 times. Pat to 1/2 inch thick, creating a rectangle. Cut into 1 1/2 inche squares, and transfer to baking sheet without the sides of the biscuit touching. Bake at 425 degrees for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment