Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Christmas Candy Tradition

Gosh, I know I post about food a lot, but you know the saying, "Live to eat, eat to live!"

Last weekend mom and I got together to make Christmas candy. The past fives years I always made candy with my grandma, but since I have moved back to Ohio, I can do that anymore. (Sad face) However, it was great to get together with mom again, since we really haven't made candy together since I was in high school. Maybe once in college, but regardless, it's been half a decade or more!

We made several types:
  • Holiday-shaped dipped chocolate pretzels
  • Haystacks (butterscotch with crunchy chow mien noodles and marshmallows)
  • Peppermint oreo's half-dipped in white chocolate and sprinkled with crushed candy canes
  • Chex Muddy Buddies
  • Mini peanut butter Ritz dipped in white chocolate
  • Peppermint Bark
  • Pretzel buttons (small round pretzels with chocolate in the center and an M & M)
  • Buckeyes
  • Orange Marbled Fudge
  • Hard Candy (lime; watermelon)
It was perhaps slightly out of control. I like a few recipes similar to the ones we used if you want to join in the mayhem.

But I always make a lot and then give a lot away. I love using it for gifts for all my colleagues at school. Everybody loves a homemade treat, so why not? It's just fun because people walk up to me or email me saying, "I ate the whole box today!" That brings me joy!! Food just seems to do that to us.

If that weren't enough, I dipped pretzel rods later on too. It's getting out of control, but it's so fun. I haven't looked at the scale recently, and I don't want to either!!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment