Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Mississippi Mud Cupcakes... Yum!

My mom is into those gourmet cupcakes that have been made popular from shows like Cupcake Wars. So for her birthday, I decided to make her cupcakes! I had some inspiration from a recipe that I made as a kid that is super simple: Mississippi Mud Cake. It's just chocolate cake with a layer of marshmallow creme, topped with chocolate frosting. For the cupcake, I kept it simple and used a chocolate cake mix. I mixed up the batter according to package directions and baked in muffin tins. After they cooled, I scooped out a hole in the center with a spoon (about an inch wide by an inch deep) and piped marshmallow creme into the hole, making sure to keep the marshmallow creme level with the top of the cupcake. I don't have a full set of decorator bags for piping and such, so my cheap trick is to put the marshmallow creme into a sturdy Ziploc bag and then cut across a corner for a round tip.
Next, I needed to mix up the icing or frosting, whichever it is. I probably should look up the correct definition, but it's sweet and tasty, so who cares? LOL.... I found a recipie from allrecipies.com and adapted it to the ingredients that I had on hand. Here it is:

Simple Chocolate Frosting
Cream 1/2 cup real butter
Mix 1/4 cup cocoa powder and 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
Add cocoa and powdered sugar mixture slowly to butter and beat until firm
Add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla and 1 tablespoon of milk and beat again until all ingredients are mixed
Add more milk to desired consistency if needed

This icing will firm up if stored in the fridge, so pipe it onto the cupcakes right after mixing. Of course, you don't need to store it in the fridge, as far as I know, but the butter in the icing will soften if at room temperature. For the visual effect, I topped the cupcake with a marshmallow.

Mom loved it. Happy Birthday momma!

No comments:

Post a Comment