Sunday, September 30, 2012

Homeowners Weekend #3: Gutting the Bathroom

Our contractors, Brentwood Builders, who will be coming to work on the kitchen and bathroom in about 2 weeks, have been just wonderful. They have given us great service and are always prompt to reply to our questions. Furthermore, they have been super flexible in allowing us some leeway to manage the costs of the renovation. Which leads me to the topic of the day: gutting an old bathroom.

This bathroom was a mess. Just old and stale and bland. There wasn't even a shower head for the shower, and the side cabinet had some nasty, crusty liquid on the top self. Thank goodness Justin and dad did the demolition, because that was gross. The toilet had some really weird blue seat. When I first saw it, I thought that it was some kind of gel seat. But no, it's just a strange blue seat. The stock vanity had completely lost it finish. When Justin and dad took it apart, they found a handful of coins stuck down the drain. Glad we got that cleaned out! The linoleum was boring and dirty, and the walls had mold around the top.

Since Justin did this, not me, here's his story: "David and I began by taking out the sink and vanity and turning the valves off for the water. This actually went smoother than we anticipated. Next we began the dirty work of removing the drywall. We just dumped all the debris in the shower tub. After David left, I removed all the drywall screws and that was pretty much it. We did see that there used to be a window in the bathroom, which may not be a bad idea down the road..."

Yesterday they did most of the demolition. They were taking the bathroom down to the studs so that the contractors can just come in and build from there with new, mold-resistant drywall (Did I mention that there was mold yet?) Then we will paint, and then they will finish installing the flooring, pedestal sink, claw foot tub (the one we restored), and a new toilet. Then it will be all new! I CAN'T WAIT!!  With everything else that we are doing on the house, I am so glad that after the demolition, we don't have to do anything else to the bathroom! And once we have a bathroom with a shower, we can actually live there!


 
Gutting the bathroom was the big weekend project. But we also did other things!! Friday our cousin Christian and my dad and I unloaded the last of our storage container. We had actually started on Thursday night. Next, Justin took out the old linoleum in the utility room. I think this was the cause of the pet odor that was still lingering, because today was much, much better when we walked in. I also washed down the utility room and patched holes so we can get a coat of paint on. But, I had to scrap out some mildew in the corner and put Kilz on it too.. ahh, the problems we keep facing! Then today I also painted a closet and spray painted the floor vents black to match the existing cast-iron grates. And I moved all the supplies downstairs so that we can start working on the family room. Speaking of which, Justin also removed the wood tongue-in-groove tiles from the family room on Saturday. It's an 8x16 space, so thankfully they came out pretty quick- about an hour. Oh, yes, and we put down a coat of paint on the dining room floor Saturday and Sunday night. Now it has to sit for a few days before we can start moving furniture back in. So I guess it was productive weekend! We are tired though... we came back about 5 today and I actually went running. (I haven't went since we got the house, and I had been running 3-4 times a week plus biking a couple of days) So it was nice. But I already have the list of projects for next week.
 
Ready or not... 
Get another gallon of Creamy paint from Sherwin-Williams to paint trim
Change tint of a gallon or two so we can pain the master bedroom
Organize boxes that we moved in on Friday from the storage container
Get quarter-round molding for trim in all rooms
Paint molding for trim
Install molding for trim
Carpet family room (Lowes?)
Install water heater (Lowes?)
Tear up kitchen floor and small, last section of cabinets
Prep and patch walls
Paint kitchen walls

That's all for tonight. I'm gonna sleep well!

No comments:

Post a Comment