Thursday, July 24, 2014

American Airlines Seating Issues

I probably shouldn't write a post right now, as I am severely irritated. That said, here is the issue.

We have had our American Airlines flight booked for several weeks now, and leave in one week. When I booked, I couldn't pick seats. I called about a week ago, and the American Airlines agent directed me to the website, where I could choose seats. The agent was plenty friendly and tried to help.  But here is the issue: I am traveling with my 3 month old son as a lap infant, and would like to be seated in the back of the plane with my husband. Apparently, this is a very difficult request to fill. You see, the only seats listed online are "paid" seats (wait, I didn't I already PAY for my ticket?). Those "paid" seats are of course aisles, windows, and exit rows with leg room, and range from an extra $34 to $71 dollars. AND if I have an infant, I am not supposed to be in an exit row. The aisles and windows only have one seat available so my husband and I couldn't sit together. Only one flight of the four was I able to choose seats, on the very last flight back home.

So while I am trying to be a considerate traveler by sitting in the back with my infant, instead I have to wait until I check in at the airport to get my seat. This honestly adds considerable stress to my travel, because I am going to be juggling my baby, the car seat, and luggage while worrying if I will even be able to have my husband by my side during the flight, how I can discreetly breastfeed in whatever seat I am assigned at the last minute, and what I will do if the baby is screaming because his poor little ears hurt on takeoff and landing. I really am just trying to be considerate of others and to help our travel go smoothly.

I know that someone, somewhere has power to assign us seats. It really just seems ridiculous to me. Maybe I am overreacting, but this whole situation really irritates me. I have never had this kind of scenario with other airlines and flights, so American Airlines will definitely not be on the top of my list when selecting my next flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment