Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Fabric Paint Chair Revamp!

I snagged this chair at Valley Thrift store about a week ago for .69. That's right.... sixty-nine cents! Who priced this, I'm not sure, but it was destined to be mine. The only problem was that it was a little faded. I was sure I could find some fabric paint to spruce it up, and I did. Both Jo Ann's and Michael's carried Simply Spray fabric paint. After I cleared out Jo Ann's Blue Jay stock, I went to Michael's. (They actually had several other brands also, some that came in a pump bottle instead of a spray. I'm not sure how they would work but I just might try it sometime.)

On a technical note, I was super irritated because the spray kept jamming. I actually returned a bottle to the store because it sprayed for a whole two seconds and then didn't give me anything else!! Grrr! I ended up using about 6 bottles of the 2.5 oz size. With coupons and all, I think it cost me about $25 to change the color of the chair.

I think the key with this project was to stay in the same color family. For example, I wouldn't have tried to make the chair red- it might have ended up looking purple or something. So I really just brought the original color back to life. After taping off the wood framing that showed, I tried to saturate the chair as best I could, then let it dry. Once it dried I could see if I was uneven in any areas and spray again to cover better. The nice thing about this type of paint was that it doesn't need to heat set or be washed, so I works for a chair that can't go through the laundry!

You can see the before and after pictures below, and also a picture with the cushion turned over to see the difference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment