Sunday, June 16, 2013

Making Strawberry Freezer Jam

Making strawberry freezer jam wasn't as hard as I thought. Of course, they probably have to test the directions on a bunch of people before they print them, but still, I was pleasantly surprised that all of my jam set up like it was supposed to in the 24 hour waiting period before I put it in the freezer to store. The hardest part (or most tiresome) is actually cutting and mashing the berries up. Mine were freshly picked from my parent's patch, but they had a few spots to work around and you are supposed to mash them with a potato masher, one cup at a time. (My arm is now sore, but for the record I did two cups at a time and it worked fine)  Still, it was worth the effort and I did four batches. Not all of them are even in the picture.



 
I also tried the less-sugar needed recipe, which calls for Splenda. But it's not a freezer recipe, it is a cooked recipe. I personally don't like that as much, but it is a ton less sugar (twelve small packs of Splenda compared to four cups of sugar). So it does help in that aspect. All in all, I will stick with the freezer jam, or maybe look up another recipe for less sugar that is a freezer jam recipe. Those just seem fresher when you actually use them.

Thanks for a successful canning session, Sure Jell.

No comments:

Post a Comment