Wednesday, June 19, 2013

A Growing Garden

My first garden is doing quite well! We put up a chicken wire fence to keep some of the small animals out a few weeks ago, and everything is growing well. It looks even better than this picture that I took a few days ago!

The corn is about three feet tall, and my tomato plants are a little shorter than that. I even have a few blooms on the tomato plants. (Thanks dad for the stakes). My beans are really starting to expand, and I can't wait for fresh green beans!! Oh, it just sounds so good! And my peas are looking tasty as well. I've counted several pods forming, though they aren't ready to pick yet.

I have only weeded twice or so, and even then the weeds weren't too bad. I'm so thankful for that! I did have trouble with bugs getting the bean plants early on, but they seem to be doing better now. That diatomaceous earth stuff must work, and it's supposed to be organic too. Needless to say, I always rinse things really well before we eat or preserve them.

I am hoping that by the end of the month, I will have fresh peas at least, and maybe green beans soon after. Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment