Thursday, March 14, 2013

Starting Zinnia Seeds

Last Wednesday I started some Zinnia seeds, and they are already shooting up! It's so fun to watch something new grow after just a week. I'm definitely ready for spring. I used potting soil in plastic trays with a dome for the first few days, but then some of the very small sprouts looked like they were getting plant mold, so I took the dome off. They are inside the house anyways, so figured that it was warm enough. Another little problem was that they started leaning towards to sun, even though they were right by the window. I shut the blinds, and today they look like they are growing straighter. I think I was warned about putting them in sun too soon, because the stalks won't be strong enough, and that might be happening. (It's so fun to watch them grow though- I couldn't help it!) Still, this is just the first round, and I can always plant more. It's pretty early in the season, being mid-March and all.

I also started some sage, chive, and oregano seeds. They seem to be growing slower, which is probably just part of their maturation time. It will be so awesome to have fresh herbs though!!

1 comment:

  1. Hello. I'm gowing zinnias right now and mine look a lot like yours do in this picture. This is my first time, but they got really tall and drooped over. I'm assuming they're not supposed to do that. How did yours turn out? I'm not sure if I put mine in sun too early also or maybe I didn't put the seeds down far enough. If yours turned out okay then maybe mine will too. How long until they start growing blooms? I've had mine potted for over a month I think but they're falling over but not dying. Help! :)

    ReplyDelete