Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Gaylor Lakes Hike, Yosemite

This past Saturday I went on another hike. I keep thinking that its my last hike, but then I go on another one. Maybe we will have one more this year....

We went to Gaylor Lakes, off Highway 120 and deep into northern Yosemite. It's actually right before the far gate that leads to Highway 395. It was about a three hour drive, but I think it was worth it.  The first mile or so is pretty steep uphill to get over the saddle of a mountain and then into the valley. As you go over the saddle, you descend to Gaylor Lakes. Check out these pictures below! WOWSERS! The clouds were perfect and it was early in the morning, so the wind hadn't picked up. It is a near perfect reflection in the water. God sure did make so amazing landscapes for us to enjoy!


After we passed the first lake, it's about a half mile to another lake, which you can see in the background of the picture with Justin and I. Then it's up a hill to some old mine ruins. Make sure you stay back, because a few of the pits go pretty deep. The old houses were made of thin rock. We were debating if it would be good insulation or if the wind would just go straight through.





We headed down again toward the first Gaylor Lake, but made our hike a little longer by going around the meadow to a basin that held Granite Lakes. Then we went south a bit more to lower Granite Lake. This one was nice, but at this point the sun was hidden behind the clouds and we were getting  really chilly. I had a long-sleeved shirt, but it was one of those thin polyester shirts that dries out really fast. Needless to say, it wasn't much good. I ended up wearing Kelly's poncho to keep warm, and it was a good thing too because it actually hailed on us for a short time! (I think my clothing issue was because I have been hiking in the Emigrant Wilderness, and it's been rather warm the days I hiked there.)

All in all, it was a great hike of about 6 miles. Kelly just had a knack for picking a good ones, I think! Here's our picture, with lower Gaylor Lake back behind us in the valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment