Saturday, May 8, 2010

Patriotism

If you came to America to live, you must like it, right?

Apparently not.

I have a student in one my classes who won't say the pledge. That's ok, as long as he still stands respectfully with the rest of the class. However, when this student started making comments during the pledge and saying that America is a horrible country, I got a little perturbed. I quietly took him right outside my classroom door and let him know that it was ok if he didn't say the pledge, but he should still stand respectfully. I also let him know that the great thing about America is that you can voice your opinion and show what you feel. I did this quietly, without making a scene or embarrassing him.

Off the record, I'd like to say:
If indeed, you really don't like America when you grow up, YOU CAN LEAVE.

People have always been drawn to America for its freedoms. You can think, believe, and say what you will. And I would hope that is why one loves this country. That is also why I was so appalled that some students were asked to remove shirts with the American flag on them during the Cinco de Mayo holiday.

Here's three points about this situation that I think are valuable to mention:

1) They are in America, and on any day of the year in America they should be allowed to show the American flag.
2) Students who wore Mexican colors and/or flags were not made to remove theirs.
3) Retaining your heritage is vitally important, but so is embracing where you have chosen to currently reside.

Here's the clip, and you can form your own opinions on whether these students should have complied and taken off their American flag attire...

No comments:

Post a Comment