Thursday, July 4, 2013

Contentment

Sometimes, it is really hard to be content. Or, at least, to be content in all areas. I've been thinking about this quite a bit lately. Let me share some personal anecdotes.

In high school, and into college, I just thought my life would be complete with that special guy in it. You know, that perfect guy that I read about in my teen Christian romance novels (Christy Miller series, etc...) and assorted chick flicks that I watched at slumber parties. That one man would just sweep my off my feet and then my life would be complete!!

Then, after a few years, my husband and I began dating in college. (Check, I had the man). I think there is this six-month period of time when one is just happy at that stage. Then you keep thinking about the next... getting engaged... So we looked at rings, and I waited. All my friends were getting engaged. Hmph! When would it be my turn?

After a few more months, I was engaged. But now my friends were getting married. And oh, wouldn't life just be so much better if I was married already. But we have to wait almost two years till he finished school. By the time I was married, many of my friends had already been married for a year. Still, the newlywed stage held true and we were quite happy for a time.

Boy, wouldn't it be great own instead of rent? I can't paint the rental the colors I want, or change the landscaping much, and the kitchen is so small. Really, I'm sure I could find an affordable house with a better layout and location. Perhaps, a location back home. I'm so far away from home (in California) and I want to get back to Ohio. When will we be able to move back?

Finally, the jobs open up back in Ohio and we move. All our friends have kids. We don't. Is it time? Will having children make our life complete? Our niece and nephew are sure cute. We finally bought a house now, yep, renovated with our sweat and tears. But how great would it be to live in the country? We start a savings account for the "dream house" that we want to build someday for our (yet nonexistent) children to flourish in.

You see, and I'm being as honest as possible, it's so easy for me to be discontent were God had placed me. Yet He says, "godliness with contentment is great gain" in I Timothy 6:6. And isn't one of the commandments not to covet? As well as a host of other verses that I could look up on the topic. I need to find my sufficiency in Christ. I think as a woman perhaps this is even harder. I am grateful, so grateful, that God had given me contentment in many areas of my life. In others, I still struggle to be joyful in the place that I am in. Of course, I don't see anything wrong with working hard to earn a dream, but if you are like me, it can become a distraction and source of discontent if I am not careful. So if I ever seem like I have my head in the clouds on some dream, pull me back down and remind me of all of God's blessings in my life RIGHT NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment