Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Hobo Stew

Last week was pretty normal. I kept thinking that I should blog, but nothing interesting happened until the weekend, and then I was busy. So, I will start with Hobo Stew on Saturday.

Each year my church has a Hobo Stew gathering. Now it might sound crazy, but it's good: Each person brings one can of something to dump in the soup. Mostly it's potatoes, corn, beans, the usual veggies. But then a few people will bring noodles, or Vienna sausage, or pineapple, or something different like that. Somehow, it always turns out good. I should note that grandma always starts it off with beef and onion base, but it always turns into a tomato-veggie soup. This year it had a pretty mild flavor, last year it was a bit more spicy. Either way, it's super fun for everyone to get together. Games and horse rides for the kids, and time to talk for the adults. We have cornbread, cider, and desserts too. Did I mention that my church likes to eat?

All in all, my uncle Tim's church joined us too, and we have about 160 people. That's the biggest ever, I think. And while it's stressful for grandma and grandpa to get ready (especially this year with harvest two days before), I still know that they like it. So does everyone else!

Justin and I helped bring chairs and tables over on Saturday morning, and load them again on Sunday afternoon. (Side note: my arms were a little bit sore) We were glad to help out though, and plus we got leftover stew on Sunday!

Here's  a few pics:

No comments:

Post a Comment