Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Done with canning... hopefully!

Well, I would like to say I am officially done with canning for the year. I tore up the remaining green bean plants and tomatoes this weekend. The beans were getting rather buggy and unproductive, as were the tomatoes. All in all though, I am pretty happy with my results. I canned about 5 dozen quarts of beans, 3 dozen pints of tomato sauce, 10 quarts of tomato juice, and 2 dozen pints of cinnamon rings (from cucumbers). While I would have liked to freeze corn, the animals got to my few rows and it just didn't happen. I still might do make applesauce, as I found out that a good friend has some trees that I can pick from. Whew, though, it is a big commitment to can! The best part about it, amidst all the hot mess, is that I know exactly what is in each can, and don't have to worry about additives and preservatives. So it is worth it!


No comments:

Post a Comment