Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Guide: Colossians and Philemon

Since I finished reading through the Bible last year (I've done it on the even years since 2000), I wanted to get to study one book in-depth. I love reading through the Bible, but one just doesn't have the time to go very deep when you have five chapters to read every night. So I ordered this book- The Guide: Colossians and Philemon by Michael Bentley. And I really, really like it! It just takes 2-5 verses at a time, and explains them completely. Not only that, it give you cross references to other passages that deal with the same theme and concepts. I'm enjoying it because it's making me spend some more time studying.

Colossians 2: 9-10 says, "For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily; and you are complete in Him, who is the head of all principality and power."

In The Guide, the author uses the following for this point, and it really spoke to me:

"One commentator illustrates this by saying that one day he stood beside the vast Pacific Ocean. He had a small glass jar in his hand and stopped to fill it with some of the water from the ocean. When he held it up, it was full of sea water even though he did not have the fulness of the Pacific Ocean in his jar. He says, 'Thinking of Christ, we realize that because he is infinite, he can hold all the fulness of Deity. And whenever one of us finite creatures dips the tiny vessel of our life into him, we instantly become full of his fulness.' "

You can buy it at http://www.christianbook.com/ !

No comments:

Post a Comment