Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Restoring a Clawfoot Tub: Part One

I am super pumped that Justin and I found a short tub that will fit in our new house. It's a four-foot long clawfoot tub built in the USA by Standard Sanitary Manufacturing in 1926. Almost 100 years old. The inside looks good but the outside needs work. It needs new fixtures too. This morning I started scraping old paint off  with a paint scraper and then switched to a wire brush. When that became ineffective, I used dad's wire sander, or whatever you call it. It seemed to do the trick for much of the side that will be visible in the bathroom.The other side, however, is still caked in several places with layers of paint. Not sure what I want to do with that. But after I worked on it about two hours, the sun was getting hot and I figured I could come back to it later. It's made a lot of progress, but it's not done yet. I need to do some research to figure out how to solve that problem. Here's what I got so far:



 

No comments:

Post a Comment