Thursday, August 9, 2012

Recovering an Occasional Chair

I've been having fun recovering chairs lately, and I did another one last night. This one we got for FREE, yes, free, at a garage sale. You can't beat that! Then I spent $7 for this awesome giraffe fabric at Walmart to cover it. This one was a little trickier than the previous chairs, because the bottom didn't detach. As you can see in the pictures, I had to cut a diagonal cut towards the corner before being able to secure the fabric with the staple gun. This was a bit irritating... I also folded the raw edge under before securing as well. I did the front and back first, then the sides, to make sure that the fabric went on in a smooth finish. I also added some stuffing to the seat because it was a bit flat.  On the back of the chair, I started at the bottom and secured fabric around the sides first. Then I tried to neatly staple a smooth layer over the very back. The staples were exposed, so I probably will try to keep the chair against the back of a wall. I don't think it looks too bad though... Again, I folded the raw edges under on this last step so the fraying edges aren't seen.

It gives the chair a completely different look. Now I just need a throw pillow!


Cut an angled line to the corner

Add stuffing

Attach bottom and sides first. This was tricky because the back was curved.
 Use folds to try to smooth the back. I hadn't done the final staples along the bottom in this picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment