Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Homeowners make progress... days 9-12

This weekend was exhausting and wonderful. I am feeling more and more blessed in our new adventure of homeownership. Justin and I are blessed with amazing family, friends and neighbors who are helping up get things done.


We started off with donut from Stan's in Xenia. Yum! (They had chocolate iced - peanut butter filled, a new one for me) Grandma and Grandpa M. traveled down for the day to help out around 9am. After a tour of the very-much-still-needing help, they got to work painting. Bert, our next door neighbor, even got in on the action. By the end of the day, we had the living room and front bedroom done. I felt like we made some serious progress! It went down like this: grandpa painted Copen Blue in our front bedroom, Bert did the ceilings in three rooms,  grandma worked on the fireplace in Brandywine, and dad and grandpa worked on the Bittersweet Stem in the living room. It was really helpful that the trim had already been done in the days before everyone came.
Mid-afternoon everyone was getting tired and it was time to stop the painting for that day. Justin went to rent a floor sander and then started on it in the late afternoon. Bert came back over and pushed the Shop Van along to suck up some of the dust as he went. (Still, it didn't get everything!) After that, I tried to sweep and clean up, and then we called it a day. Whew!
























After sanding...



Sunday, Justin and I headed back over after church and lunch. Dad and mom both came over later on
too. Dad single-handedly painted Majolica Green in the dining room. I did help with a little trim, but he did the heavy rolling. The walls are super textured, so this is really a big deal! Justin did more touch-up and trim work during this time, and mom cleaned in the middle bedroom. To end the day, after mom and dad left, I worked on painting the floors. Since the sanding didn't seem to get the varnish off, we just decided to paint. Another post on that process later!
Then Monday came around, and after work we headed over yet again. Justin sanded some door frames and put Kilz in other rooms that hadn't had it yet.  I painted one of the closets and did some trim with mom. Dad finished off the dining room. Finally, after all of that, around 8 pm I started on the second coat on the floors. By the way, the floor color is called Cocoon. It's a deep gray. It took a little bit of time because I wanted to hand paint everything so that got the lines and more of a wood look. (Last night we used a roller to cover some of the floors). Around 8:45, I was getting tired and had finished the front bedroom, closet, and hallway. I still needed to do the living room, which is about twice the size of what I had just done. I had an idea for dad to go over with roller, and then I would follow with the brush. This way, I wouldn't have to worry about coverage, just getting the lines from the strokes for the hand-painted look. It worked out great! The roller covers about three boards, and I was able to keep up with dad as we went along. We finished that room in about 30 minutes! YAY! I didn't get home until after 9:30, but it was worth it. One day at a time.

You can get a little bit of an idea from these pictures. More to come when we have some furniture in...


No comments:

Post a Comment